In 1967, Sandy MacLachlan created the Woodworking Museum as a Centennial Project. To house the collection, he dismantled an 1855 log house, originally built by the White family in Lanark County, and moved it to Princess Street in Kingston, Ontario. There it operated as a privately‐owned museum for over a decade.
In the early eighties, it was bought by the former Pittsburgh Township and once again, the log house was moved to its present location at Grass Creek Park. With the amalgamation of the City of Kingston in 1998, the museum became the responsibility of the Culture and Recreation Division in the Corporation of the City of Kingston.
The MacLachlan Woodworking Museum holds the most extensive, nationally significant collection of woodworking tools in Canada.
To cultivate and foster the appreciation and understanding of the role of wood and woodworking technology in the development of Canada. This shall be accomplished through conducting and encouraging research, collecting, preserving and interpreting woodworking tools and artifacts made by their use.